Monday, March 17, 2014

March FAN Madness: Ruin by Rachel Van Dyken

Ruin
By: Rachel Van Dyken



Synopsis:  I'm not your typical girl. I've been running away from the memories that haunt me for so long that depression has become my only comfort. I was content in the darkness...until Wes Michels offered to be my light.

I didn't know that time wasn't my ally -- that every second that ticked past was one step closer to the end of something that was beginning to mean the end of myself. He tried to warn me. He promised me all he was able to offer--each moment as it came--but it would never be enough.

Sometimes when you think it's the end, it's only the beginning. Wes thought he could save me, but in giving me everything, he ruined me. Because after one kiss, one touch, I couldn't--I wouldn't ever be the same.

And from that moment on, his heartbeat became my own

***

Review:  Well Ruin has me ruined.  I am surprised I was able to comprehend the last third of the book through the tears and sobbing.  There should be a warning on the cover 'Have Kleenex on hand.'

     Ruin is the story of Kiersten and Weston.  Kierston is a college freshman scared to live.  Having tragically lost her parents she is just trying to survive each day.  Her first few days on campus are tough and uncomfortable until she walks head first into a wall of a man.

     Weston has also had his share of tragedy, having lost people he loved.  In his final year of college he has been assigned as a RA in an on campus dorm.  Just trying to survive the year he has planned to change his playboy ways and focus on his priories, his health, football and his family.  What Weston never expected was to be felt up by sheepish redheaded freshman on one of the first days on campus.

     Quickly, Weston and Kiersten become friends.  Weston makes it his mission to help Kiersten breakdown her walls and start living.  Teaching her to live afraid instead of being afraid to live.  What Weston doesn't tell her is he is fighting his own battle to live.  A battle of life and death.  Does love conquer all?  Can it heal all wounds?

     I adored the characters.  I love Kiersten's innocence.  She trusted Weston wholeheartedly and maybe even a little naively.  Weston was sweet and kind.  He was completely down to earth despite his family's circumstance.  The connection the author was able to create, not only between the characters, but also between the characters and the reader was mesmerizing.  Two thirds in I felt like I was there holding Wes's hand.  It was also around this time I began bawling like a baby.

     Ruin was one hell of an emotional roller coaster.  If you are looking for a sweet love story laced with true raw emotion I suggest you pick up a copy of Ruin today!

Happy reading!!

No comments:

Post a Comment